Friday, October 31, 2008

.new glitches.


I received an E-flyer in mailbox from ElectroLab/Esplanade some time back. Secret Mommy. Hmmmm.. the flyer looks good, the word "glitch" in the description accentuated from the string of text. So I decided to go for it. All the better if I don't know what to expect. 

It was a refreshing listening experience. I couldn't put my finger to if it was mind-blowing or the kind you know you could tap your feet to. You will try, then you will miss a beat and catch on after you've synced in again. It's mind-boggling - in the most interesting ways. The kind you cock your head to like a puppy listening to new sounds from an ice-cream van, but it is also the kind that I know that THIS is what and how music is spoken - his way

Andy Dixon aka Secret Mommy  (as random as it can be) collects sounds. And he spins them into musical stories. From what he hears on his way to the post office or from his 3 minutes introduction to the crowd "Hi I'm Andy..I'm from Vancouver. Well I don't know.. " (loops). 

We had a mini chat after his live set, to find out hes also a visual artist, who did all his album designs and music videos. He sees music too. Way, dope.

Listening to him let me think about how most today give a lotta shit about what people think and say about their creation, so they tend to or end up creating for what people want and not themselves. I condone the rationale as it's still great on the receiving end, just that the raw beauty of creation corrodes along swiftly with this urban culture transaction when creating has become such convenience. Guess thats how I have increasing appreciation to those brave ones, who do something which sometimes they themselves don't even understand. 

Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Andy has some albums for sale on site. One which had a molar tooth on its cover. After the live set, heres the dialog i overheard:

Gal: What's this album on?
Andy.D: AWW..this album is on the dental check I last went, when my wisdom tooth got extracted. It has got the most AWEFUL sounds in it... it sounds really AWEFUL....The whole album is inspired by my whole experience on my tooth extraction.. really AWEFUL.... -pause-  But. I really love this one. You gotta have this. 
 

I like this guy. He's real.





Keep living your passion. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment